I wanted to post a recipe that could be made as an offering to the deities.So I asked mom and she told me that ven pongal is one among the offerings and I decided to go ahead with it as it is also very easy.I started making this very often as its very tasty, healthy and easy to prepare in minutes when I get up very late in the morning. Everyone should know the benefits of millets and start practicing to prepare often at home.This Samai /Little millet tastes similar to rice and you cant find any difference that this pongal is made out of millet.
Check out other Pongal(Sankaranti) Recipes
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe Type: Breakfast,Lunch (Main Dish)
1. Pressure cooker the millet and dal with 3 cups of water till they are mushy.Add the required amount of salt to the millet dal mixture. Cook for one whistle and let it cook in that steam itself.
2. In a pan add the ghee and oil and heat it.Add the tempering ingredients and roast them till the cashews turn golden brown and the curry leaves are crispy.
3. Switch off the flame add these tempered ingredients to the rice dal mixture.
4. Garnish with few curry leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
5. Tasty Samai venn pongal is ready to be served with ghee on top.
- Adding 2 tsp of broken cashews roasted in ghee enhances the taste.If your kids are too fussy and pick the pepper corns to throw out of the plate, you can use this method.
- Do not omit ginger and curry leaves as they add a nice flavour. Add pepper and jeera only during tempering and not along with rice and dal mixture.