This is a very delicious payasam. Try this easy and simple kadalai paruppu payasam recipe. Let this New Year bring lots of happiness, good health and prosperity to all.ar friends, wish u all a very Happy New Year. If you follow the correct measurements in this recipe, you can get the real authentic taste. I thought I can go with something traditional recipe.
It is a traditional Kerala style Kadala Pradhaman/Kadala Payasam/Kheer. We usually fine kadala pradhaman in Kerala sadhya (Kerala feast) which would be served in many Kerala weddings. And other traditional functions such as Onam, Vishu etc. The feast comes with minimum of 3 payasams.
Cuisine: Kerala (Onam Sadya recipes)
Recipe Type: Dessert
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in pan. Soak the dal for about 30 minutes or fry the channa dal for 2 - 3 minutes or till aromatic. Pressure cook channa dal for 3 whistles with very less water. Dal should not be mushy.
2. Keep 1 tsp of cooked channa dal aside and grind the remaining channa dal along with few cashew nuts (optional) to a slightly coarse paste.Slightly fry the grated coconut in ghee separately.Keep aside.
3. Combine the jaggery and 1/4 cup of water in a vessel and heat until the jaggery dissolves completely. Once jaggery syrup is ready.Strain and use for the further preparation for its impurities.Heat ghee ina vessel and add the cooked channa to the ghee and cook for some time.;Cook till the water content evaporates.
4. Pour the jaggery syrup to the grounded channa paste.Stir continuously and check the flame to be low-medium.By checking constantly,we can avoid burning of channa dal.Now add thin coconut milk and mix well.Cook for 5 minutes in medium flame and add cardamom powder .Now add thick coconut milk and reduce the flame to low.Cook for few minutes and switch it off.
5. Mix well so that there are no lumps. Switch off the flame.
6. In another pan just heat the ghee, add cashews and sauté well till it’s almost light brown in color. And add the raisins for a minute and pour into the kadala pradhaman. Delicious and tasty kheer is ready to enjoy.
Soak cashews in boiling water for rich taste and texture. (Optional).
Milk is purely optional.If you think coconut milk is very heavy while serving add some milk to dilute and serve .