Methi, or fenugreek leaves, are very common in Karnataka.I had a plan of making this sambar when I came across methi leaves. Keerai/Leafy Greens are made at least once in a week. Apart from the regular Kootu and Stir fry or Parupu-usli, I make this Sambhar with Fenugreek Leaves/Vendaya Keerai. This Leafy Vegetable blends so well with Toor Dal and Tamarind gives an excellent taste to both the senses. Methi leaves are very tasty, you can prepare pulao, chappathi etc with that. I have tried sambhar using methi leaves. Sambar or vegetable and lentil stew is a popular south Indian dish. For most south Indians, it’s a staple eaten with rice. Fenugreek is rich in potassium, calcium and iron. Lentils are a good source of protein and iron if cooked the right way. So this dish is full of good stuff and comes together in 30 minutes. Pair it with brown or white rice for a perfect south Indian lunch or dinner.
Check out some more Kuzhambu and Sambar Varieties
Recipe Type: Side dish for roti and rice
· Methi leaves -2 medium bunble
· Toor dal -1/2 cup
· Onions -1 big
· Tomato -1
· Garlic cloves -3
· Tamarind thin water -2 tbsp
· Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
· Sambar powder -1 tbsp
· Salt –to taste
· Mustard seeds -1 tbsp
· Dry red chillies -2 no
· Jeera seeds -1/4 tsp
· Hing -pinch
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and when oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Cook for 30 seconds. Add asafetida powder and pearl onions and cook till onions turn light brown. This should take about 5 minutes on medium flame.
2. Add drained fenugreek leaves to the above along with a tablespoon of water and let it cook covered for 10minutes on medium flame. Mix tamarind paste with 1/2 cup of water and add it to the above. Bring it to a boil.
3. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes. Add mashed toor dal/pigeon peas and mix well. Add 1/2 -1 cup water depending on the desired consistency. It should neither be too thick nor too watery. Enjoy your meal.
White rice or chapatti.
Don't add curry leaves or coriander leaves to this