Bread Upma is a new way to eat your bread. This upma is a simple snack or breakfast with South Indian touch. If you’re tired of eating toast and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, try this vegetarian (vegan) breakfast with bread.I like to try with wheat bread.If you/your kids don’t like wheat bread we can just use white bread.
Prep time:5 mins|Cook time:10 mins|Serves: 2 persons
Cuisine :North Indian (Breakfast or Snack)
· Bread slices -6 no’s
· Oil-1 tbsp.
· Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
· Onion- 1 no medium
· Curry leaves -1 sprig
· Grated ginger-1” piece
· Green chillies -2 slit lengthwise
· Tomato-1 no
· Red chilli powder-1 tsp
· Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
· Garam masala -1/2 tsp
· Salt –as needed
· Lemon juice-1/2 tsp
· Cilantro chopped -1 tsp
1. Stack the bread pieces on top of each other and dice them through using a knife. Tear them into 1 inch cubes. Else tear them roughly using your fingers, crumbling them through into uneven pieces. Cut Bread into small pieces/cubes and keep aside.
2. Chop the onion and tomato finely. Slit the green chillies. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds splutter/ slightly brown, add the curry leaves, chopped onion, grated ginger and green chillies. Fry until the onions are done
3. Add the red chilli powder, and stir for a couple of minutes. Add fried bread pieces and sauté well.
4. Fry for a couple of more minutes stirring till all the masala has coated the bread pieces well. Finally add in the diced tomatoes and season with salt to taste. Fry further more for 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle salt, coriander leaves and serve.You can simply have this bread upma as a snack in the evening too with some Masala chai.
Green peas are added according to your taste. Fresh green peas are generally done after frying for 2-3 mins.
Lemon Juice can be added according to their taste.(only if you prefer)
Some of the recipes you may like
Technorati Tags: Bread recipes,Upma recipes,South indian food recipes,Indian food recipes,Breakfast recipes,Snack recipes,Kids lunch box recipes,Kids delight.