Ragi (Finger millet) Vermicelli has lots of nutritional value.It is very handy and heart filling breakfast for a busy morning.I make 2 versions of it.The spicy one and a sweeter version.My kids love the sweeter version of mixing sugar and grated coconut to it.It is a nutritious breakfast.
Now a days readymade ragi Vermicelli’s are available at all shops. Earlier my mom used to mix ragi flour with wheat flour and make Ragi Idiyappams out of it.You can either try making the sevais at home or make use of the readymade ragi Vermicelli’s.The recipe that I had mentioned here is the one that was printed at the back of this ragi vermicelli packet.
Prep time: 10 mins|Cook time: 10 mins |Serves: 2 persons
Cuisine : South Indian (Breakfast),Tamil Nadu recipes
· Ragi Vermicelli -100 g
· Chopped Onion -1 no
· Green chillies -1 no
· Ginger grated -1”(Optional)
· Grated coconut -3 tbsp.
· Chopped cashews -1 tbsp.(Optional)
· Oil -2 tbsp.
· Mustard seeds -1 tsp
· Bengal gram -1 tbsp.
· Urad dal -1 tsp
· Curry leaves -2 strands
1. In a bowl take some amount of water. Add required quantity of salt to it.Add ragi vermicelli to the water. Soak it for a minute.Don't soak it for more than that or else the vermicelli will become very sticky.
2. Filter the water through colander and keep the ragi vermicelli aside.Steam cook it for 5 minutes. Let it gets cool down for a minute.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add green chillies, onions.Saute till it gets transparent.Now add steamed vermicelli and if necessary add salt.Finally add grated coconut and mix it well.
Another variation in this upma is adding lemon juice finally to get tangy taste,but I have added grated coconut finally to get some sweet taste.